A registered design protects the pattern and/or shape and/or configuration and/or ornamentation of a design, as applied to any article.
The South African Designs Act only requires a registered design to be new and either original or not commonplace in the art in question.
To have a registered design which covers and protects the shape and configuration of the preferred embodiment of your invention functions as added insurance and is recommended.
Benefits Of Registering Your Design:
- helps to protect the visual appearance of any article of yours that may have commercial potential
- gives you a 10 to 15-year term of protection
- gives you the exclusive right to make, use or stock any article incorporating your design
- makes taking legal action against infringement and copying more straightforward
- provides you with a bargaining tool that can be licensed or sold.
- creates a significant selling point
- generates income, e.g. through licensing or selling
- be used to raise capital, e.g. as security for a loan
- form an essential part of your business Intellectual Property
Get A Consultation Now
Complete your details below now: